Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Silver Lining

I have to admit, I didn't achieve all of my goals last week. But don't worry, with every cloud there is a silver lining. I was closer to achieving them this past week than I was the week before.

With my Spiritual Improvement area, I studied my scriptures for 20 minutes four times. I went from Sunday to Wednesday then just went back to reading a chapter or verse. This week I'm going to try focusing on the scripture mastery scriptures. Hopefully I will have a bit of direction with that. I might also try some conference talks. With those I'd look up corresponding scriptures. I think I'll have to try a few different things before I find my groove.

Exercising wasn't much better. I went to the gym twice (Tuesday and Wendesday) and the third day (Thursday) I played Just Dance 3 . I did get the idea while talking to my roommate to reward myself extra if I exercised six times a week instead of just five. I'll have to decide how, but I'll figure that out later. I think that will help me not skip a day then just not want to do it the next day. That's what happened this week.

I practiced the piano four times this week and got one song most of the way learned. My problem there is I don't like to practice while my roommates can hear me so it's hard to find a time which works. I'll have to see if I can get some earphones for the piano. It's a digital, so I can do that.

I was closer to achieving my "friendly" goal. I paid more attention to the patrons in the library and I tried to listen more when anyone was talking to me. There is also a friend of a friend I see a lot that I don't particularly get along with and sometimes I'm a bit rude to him. Last time I saw him I was better. I tried not to make any snide or sarcastic comments and I think I succeeded. I even laughed a joke or two he made. I think I'm making progress.

The last goal was the most successful. I kept my room clean. I have a bag of stuff I need to donate on my floor, but the closet it clean, my laundry is done, there aren't any dirty dishes sitting next to my computer, I could even vacuum right now if I wanted to. I don't, but I will sometime this week. That's my mini goal this week.

So, there you have it. With most of my goals I seemed to fizzle out around Thursday or Friday. Monday I skipped because it was a holiday, but that isn't the case this week. I'll try to form the habits and carry them over through the next holiday.

Real quick before I go, the nonfiction book I decided to read is called Love is a Verb by Mary Ellen Edmunds. Obviously, its about loving others and serving them. I've read part of it before but never finished it. I figure it's a good place to start since it has to do with my service area of focus. I need more ideas on how to serve. Plus I have my own copy so I can mark it up if I want.

Gloria

No comments:

Post a Comment